In 2018, if you are buying your promotional products from a local swag merchant or promotional products distributor you are spending way too much money.
In 2018, so many businesses have embraced the cultural shift brought about by the internet that at no time in history has this change given the consumer so much control. That is, unless you are buying promotional products for your business marketing and B2B initiative from your local reseller.
The ASI ad specialty business is one of the last hold outs to embrace this new paradigm.
The promotional products industry has been around for nearly 90 years and in that time almost nothing has changed in the way that promo swag is bought and sold.
To best way to understand this shift is to understand how promotional items come to be in your hands and how much extra cost is incurred buying the old way. Please take 30 seconds to watch the slider below. This explains how most promo swag items come to be in your hands and at the price you pay.
Ask yourself “why in 2018 would I still keep buying this way?”
The Old School Way Of Promo Swag is as follows:
- Chinese factory makes the product. Their profit is about 30%.
- The factory sells to Chinese trading companies that sell to US or EU based Suppliers. The trading companies add 25-35%.
- Suppliers (aka ASI Suppliers) warehouse the swag here in the US in bulk. They bring the swag into the country not logo’d and do the screen printing or logo-ing here. The ASI Supplier does NOT sell to you; instead, they sell all of the products through tens of thousands of promotional resellers (aka distributors). Suppliers add an additional 35% to the price.
- Distributors are best described as the local guy or gal that sells you everything from pens to paper with your logo on it. These good folk are generally older (average age according to ASI is 57) and are eager to get you to buy ANYTHING as long as its from them. They are either independents (i.e. a stand alone business) or a franchisee who belongs to a buying group that takes a further 10% royalty. These people are generally not very knowledgeable about what’s trending and what’s not, what will and won’t work etc. They can’t be, as they will eagerly tell you they “have over 500,000 promotional products at their fingertips” and if you think about it… with that many promotional products, you can’t possibly know which are crap and which are cool. Oh and by the by… they also add another 40% to the pricing of the product.
Add it all up!
Factory: 30%; trading company: another 30%; supplier: 35%; and distributor: another 40%… for a grand total of a 150% to 200% increase in price over the original price at the factory level. In 2018, with the internet and super fast freight, why would you do this?
Trade Show 8 does it differently.
- We only sell the top trending ideas and products. We don’t do pens and mugs or sticky notes. For this “uninspiring stuff” go to your local logo promo person. They thrive on this junk.
- We sell our products to you direct from the factory, guaranteeing quality, timeliness and awesome service. We ONLY sell “Swag that Swings”, “Promo that Purrs” and “Stuff with Swagger”. No crappy leaky pens here!
- We do it fast – lightning fast! 8-10 days from China to you, all approved and perfectly logo’d. Guaranteed to make you smile!
- We are here and the factory is there. Huh? We are here in the USA and ready to talk 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, maybe even more. We speak your language and understand your needs.
We make it Simple!
To learn more…send an email to [email protected] …or just look around the site and then ask us some questions.